Many Spanish villages each summer begin their "festivities" by torture, humiliation and finally slow death of bulls, goats and other non-humans victims. The idea of "fun" for many in this country, including people with secondary "education," includes un-speakable barbarities and enjoyment from the pain and suffering of others. Sadistic? Do these people have massive Sadistic Personality Disorders? Are they mentally deranged? Let alone allow these barbaric traditions, how do they enjoy them?
What is Sadistic Personality Disorder?
Wikipidea Definition: a pervasive pattern of cruel, demeaning, and aggressive behavior, beginning by early adulthood, as indicated by the repeated occurrence of at least four of the following:
- Has used physical cruelty or violence for the purpose of establishing dominance in a relationship (not merely to achieve some noninterpersonal goal, such as striking someone in order to rob him/her).
- Humiliates or demeans people in the presence of others.
- Has treated or disciplined someone under his/her control unusually harshly.
- Is amused by, or takes pleasure in, the psychological or physical suffering of others (including animals).
- Has lied for the purpose of harming or inflicting pain on others (not merely to achieve some other goal). Gets other people to do what he/she wants by frightening them (through intimidation or even terror).
- Restricts the autonomy of people with whom he or she has a close relationship, e.g., will not let spouse leave the house unaccompanied or permit teenage daughter to attend social functions.
- Is fascinated by violence, weapons, injury, or torture.
I have come across people that enjoy and defend bullfights. Although I didnt get to know them personally (completely intentional), I can comfortably state that these people would display some of the above characteristics. Moreover, these are the same characteristics that serial killers, rapists, child molesters demonstrate. Shouldn't somebody conduct a scientific study of the link between abusing 3rd parties and crime?
I recently discovered a journalist called César Javier Palacios whose article Crónica Verde appears in the free daily "20 minutos" in Spain. I'd like to link to his recent work here, for those who are interested.
On my behalf, all I can say is, I'm delighted that summer is here; however, seeing things from where I am, its sometimes hard to believe that I'm living in 21st century Europe.